Monday, December 7, 2009

A chat with Steph Bills, maker of Monstas

Photobucket
This photo was provided by Frankenstitch Productions, created by Steph Bills.

AE-
What inspired you to create Monstas'?
Steph- Boredom, imagination and the right materials inspired me to create Monstas.

AE- What goes into making a Monsta?
Steph- What goes into making Monstas? Um I'd have to say, bringing fantasy and or my imagination to life, and a lot of blood sweat and tears. Nah, just kiddin', but some days truer than others, some days I want so bad to create, but I just don't feel it, so I guess the right mood as well. I need to be on a sewing kick. My kind is all or nothing, either with it or not at all.

AE- How long have you been doing it?
Steph- I believe it's been 6 years yet I always seem to mix up dates so I dunno, it's been sometime though.

AE- How long did it take you to learn your craft?
Steph- Well I picked it up and learned right away, but as they say, "practice makes perfect." I've learned through my mistakes.

AE- What other types of things do you make?
Steph- Along with the Monstas I make purses, (pouches -- where it all began) it's just a small to medium wallet like thing. I make pins, mobiles, sculptee beavers, prints of Monstas, whatever the hands create at the moment I guess, I usually stick to fiber/textile arts though.

AE- How does it feel to know that your Beaver has become a celebrity? How did it happen?
Steph- Awe, I thought it was one of the cutest things ever. A few years ago I went to a Rock and Rummage down in Detroit at the Garden Bowl with a few friends. This is where I sold the Beaver that made it all happen, the Sweet Beaver was his name. He sold there and from that night on he's been getting famous. I got an email from the Beaver's owner, he just emailed to run the stats on the Sweet Beaver and let me in on his whereabouts. The Beaver gets play, the Sweet Beaver now has his own MySpace page, and sets up dates to get pictures taken.

AE- What gives you the most joy from your creations?
Steph- Seeing them in my head, executing the idea, sewing them, and giving them new homes, so I guess everything, I like it all.

5 comments:

  1. I have a friend who would love these little Monstas. Do you know where they are sold? I saw that you labeled The Lunch Studio, are they available there at some points?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that they are pretty cute! I also think it's pretty cool that you got an interview with him! He seems to love making the Monstas and I always love to hear about someone who really enjoys what they do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steph works at the Lunch Studio and for the most part I think that is the best way to get a hold of her, or try her facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree quit cute, sorta looks cuddly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emma, I love how you asked where to get these. I never really thought of asking where I could buy one and it would be nice to see where they're available.

    ReplyDelete