Sunday, November 22, 2009

BARRROOOOOO! Here comes the Wolfman

Soon Detroit won’t be the only ones having ghoulish fun. Wolfman Mac’s “Chiller Drive-In” will “hopefully” be syndicated on WNEM (TV Channel 5) in Flint said Mac Kelly, who plays the host Wolfman Mac.

“I'm hoping that MyTV 5 picks us up soon.” Kelly said, “Last I heard we were just waiting for a time slot. Stay tombed!”



Chiller Drive-In” currently is showing in the Detroit area on WMYD (TV Channel 20) on Saturday nights at midnight and is somewhat of a tribute to horror shows of the past like Elvira, the Ghoul, and Sir Graves Ghastly featuring horror and sci-fi B-movies of the past.

“We're sort of a sitcom that takes place at a drive-in in the town of Hauntington Heights,” Kelly said. “Think of a cross between Herman Munster and Tim Allen.

“My werewolf character owns a run down drive in where all they have in stock are really bad monster movies.”

Kelly started doing the show after growing up watching Elvira, the Ghoul, and Sir Graves Ghastly.

“I love those old monster flicks in a bad way.” Kelly said, “I knew when I was a kid that I had to do this.”

The show first started on cable access, then moved to the network affiliate within months of airing. The actors on “Chiller Drive-In” don’t get paid for their roles. They do it because it is something they love.

“Syndication is a blessing, really the result of a child hood dream coming true,” Kelly said. “We've yet to make any money on this show, that'll happen, but we really love what we're doing here.”

The premise of the show is that Wolfman Mac, who has been around since the 1930s, has been searching the world over to find a place where he can share his love of B-movies. One fateful night while being chased by angry villagers, Mac comes across an abandoned drive-in and his new cohort and co-host Boney Bob.

“Chiller Drive-In” is known for showing movies such as “Wasp Woman,” “The Devil’s Hand,” “Night of the Living Dead” and “Spider Baby.” During these movies there are small skits performed by Wolfman Mac and the rest of the cast.

“While those movies are playing, there's always some calamity of some sort going on that Wolfman Mac has to deal with.” Kelly said, “Boney Bob is my ever-scheming side kick, always looking for a way to make a fast buck, usually using Wolfman Mac's monster card and maxing it out.”

In October 2008, “Chiller Drive-In” was voted Best Local Television Show (other than a newscast) by the Metro Times annual Best of Detroit issue, and in May 2009, Real Detroit Weekly named the show Best “Retro” Local TV Program and “the ONLY good reason to eschew the bar scene on Saturday nights!” For more information and schedules for Wolfman Mac’s Chiller Drive-In go to www.chillerdrivein.com.

5 comments:

  1. After hearing about and meeting Mac Kelly (Wolfman Mac) in October, I have wanted to see "Chiller Drive-In." I really hope it does get syndicated here. It seems like such an interesting premise for the show and I am really intrigued by it. I know I would watch it and I am sure many other people would as well. I am going to be keeping my eyes and ears open so I can find out if it gets picked up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now there are like three channel 5's in Flint, I know that it recently got picked up. It's on Retro TV too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I unlike Witty don't have any interest in seeing any scary movies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These aren't scary movies per say. They are B Movies, which are generally more funny than scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The best B Movie psuedo-scary movie, IMO, John Carpenter's “They Live.” It has great one-liners. "I'm here to chew bubble gum and kick a$$, but I'm out of bubble gum." And then there's this fight scene in which the two heroes wrestle each other for like ten minutes with one trying to convince the other there's aliens in our midst. But the real reason probably was just because one of them was a pro-wrestler, Rodney Piper, and he wanted to show his skills.

    ReplyDelete